By Caroline F. Levander,Robert S. Levine
- Offers up to date money owed of significant new serious ways to American literary studies
- Presents cutting-edge essays on an entire diversity of themes primary to the field
- Essays discover severe and institutional genealogies of the sphere, more and more different conceptions of yankee literary examine, and unparalleled fabric adjustments resembling the electronic revolution
- A special anthology within the box, and an important source for libraries, college, graduate scholars, and complex undergraduates
Read or Download A Companion to American Literary Studies (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
The Nobel Prize-winning dramatist Luigi Pirandello (1867-1936) is unquestionably the most cutting edge playwrights of the 20 th century and likewise the most advanced. whereas his impression unfold all through modernist and postmodernist works, many first-time audiences and readers are faced with the trouble linked to this kind of radical aesthetic adventure.
William Gibson, writer of the cyberpunk vintage, Neuromancer (1984), is one today’s most generally learn technology fiction writers. This spouse is intended either for common readers and for students drawn to Gibson’s oeuvre. as well as supplying a literary and cultural context for works starting from Gibson’s first brief tale, “Fragments of a Hologram Rose” (1977), to his fresh, bestselling novel, 0 historical past (2010), the spouse deals observation on Gibson’s matters, issues, and techniques.
This accomplished research of literary responses to Antarctica examines the wealthy physique of literature that the continent has provoked during the last 3 centuries, focussing really on narrative fiction. Novelists as assorted as Edgar Allan Poe, James Fenimore Cooper, Jules Verne, H. P. Lovecraft, Ursula Le Guin, Beryl Bainbridge and Kim Stanley Robinson have all been drawn artistically to the some distance south.
Enterprise and the businessman have had a basic position in American society because the inception of the country. This guideline, the ‘gospel of wealth’, is a significant problem within the novels of Theodore Dreiser and his contemporaries. First released in 1987, this study sets this team of writers of their old context and exhibits how they elaborated the belief of wealth as an item of quasi-religious quest.
- Domesticity and Design in American Women’s Lives and Literature: Stowe, Alcott, Cather, and Wharton Writing Home (Routledge Studies in Nineteenth Century Literature)
- Faithful Vision: Treatments of the Sacred, Spiritual, and Supernatural in Twentieth-century African American Fiction (Southern Literary Studies)
- Ethical Diversions: The Post-Holocaust Narratives of Pynchon, Abish, DeLillo, and Spiegelman (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory)
- Jane Austen (Critical Issues)
- The Dream of Arcady: Place and Time in Southern Literature
Extra resources for A Companion to American Literary Studies (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)