By Richard Gray
- A short historical past of yank Literature deals scholars and basic readers a concise and updated historical past of the whole variety of yankee writing from its origins until eventually the current day.
- Represents the one up to date concise heritage of yank literature
- Covers fiction, poetry, drama and non-fiction, in addition to having a look at other kinds of literature together with folktales, spirituals, the detective tale, the mystery and technological know-how fiction
- Considers how our knowing of yank literature has replaced during the last twenty years
- Offers scholars an abridged model of History of yank Literature, a publication broadly thought of the normal survey text
- Provides a useful advent to the topic for college students of yankee literature, American stories and all these attracted to the literature and tradition of the United States
Read Online or Download A Brief History of American Literature PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
The Nobel Prize-winning dramatist Luigi Pirandello (1867-1936) is unquestionably some of the most leading edge playwrights of the 20th century and in addition the most complicated. whereas his impression unfold all through modernist and postmodernist works, many first-time audiences and readers are faced with the trouble linked to one of these radical aesthetic event.
William Gibson, writer of the cyberpunk vintage, Neuromancer (1984), is one today’s most generally learn technology fiction writers. This significant other is intended either for common readers and for students drawn to Gibson’s oeuvre. as well as supplying a literary and cultural context for works starting from Gibson’s first brief tale, “Fragments of a Hologram Rose” (1977), to his fresh, bestselling novel, 0 historical past (2010), the better half bargains observation on Gibson’s matters, topics, and ways.
This accomplished research of literary responses to Antarctica examines the wealthy physique of literature that the continent has provoked during the last 3 centuries, focussing quite on narrative fiction. Novelists as various as Edgar Allan Poe, James Fenimore Cooper, Jules Verne, H. P. Lovecraft, Ursula Le Guin, Beryl Bainbridge and Kim Stanley Robinson have all been drawn artistically to the some distance south.
Enterprise and the businessman have had a basic position in American society because the inception of the state. This guiding principle, the ‘gospel of wealth’, is a critical hindrance within the novels of Theodore Dreiser and his contemporaries. First released in 1987, this study sets this workforce of writers of their ancient context and exhibits how they elaborated the assumption of wealth as an item of quasi-religious quest.
- The Long-Legged House
- A Thickness of Particulars: The Poetry of Anthony Hecht
- Comics in French: The European Bande DessinÃ©e in Context (Polygons: Cultural Diversities and Intersections)
- Ramsey Campbell: Critical Essays on the Modern Master of Horror (Studies in Supernatural Literature)
- Stephen Crane: The Contemporary Reviews (American Critical Archives)
- Tame Passions of Wilde: The Styles of Manageable Desire
Extra resources for A Brief History of American Literature